We’re all busy.
Fortunately, several of the top carriers represented by IHS Insurance Group also offer popular smartphone apps that can help you pay for your coverage, download ID cards, and even make changes to your policy—all while on the go.
Here, I’ll explore several of these apps, briefly explain their core features, outline some pros and cons, post screenshots, and highlight customer feedback so you can get a better idea of what’s available and which one might make your life easier and less stressful.
Like most of the other apps in this list, Progressive’s promises to provide easy access to your insurance details “whenever and wherever you need it.” These include viewing ID cards and other documents, applicable discounts, and billing history and payment schedules.
Via the app, you can pay bills using your credit card, debit card, or checking account, file a claim, add photos to an existing claim, and submit requested documents. You can also make policy changes, request roadside assistance, reach an agent or claims rep, and even start a quote if you’re not already a policyholder.
Progressive’s app is highly rated among iOS and Android policyholders, who frequently compliment its simplicity, reliability, and functionality. The comparatively few complaints relate to everything from inadvertently dropping coverage to billing issues.
- App allows you to make changes, download/upload documents, file/update claims
- Highly rated among policyholders
- Only works with auto (no companion account access)
- Some policyholders complain the app is buggy
Travelers’ mobile app promises to deliver “a streamlined mobile experience” to customers, which allows you to view and download ID cards and other policy documents, change your document delivery preferences, make payments, and manage payment options.
While their website delivers full functionality, the Travelers Mobile app still allows you to report a claim, get in touch with your adjuster if you’ve already filed one, and obtain roadside assistance. If you own a supported Samsung device, you can even log into the app using fingerprint authentication.
The Travelers smartphone app comes with middle-of-the-road average feedback from online customers. Many compliment the app’s ability to access ID cards (even without signing in), pay bills, and its user-friendly interface.
On the other hand, some Travelers Mobile app users cited functionality issues, frequent crashing, and less-than-optimal accessibility.
- Mostly positive online customer reviews
- Allows you to link all of your personal lines insurance policies (e.g., home, umbrella, inland marine, watercraft, etc.) under the same user ID
- Many users report frustration when trying to access core features (note: ratings are meaningfully higher among Android users)
- Limited functionality compared to some competitors
When it comes to their app, Safeco’s motto is “insurance simplified,” since it allows you to “take full control of your policy.”
Some of the top features include access to documents and ID cards, making payments, filing claims, and requesting Safeco’s Roadside Assistance with their tap-to-call functionality. At the scene of an accident, you can also take pictures and record other information, which updates its details as your claim is processed.
After filing a claim, the Safeco app gives you the ability to search for local repair facilities, schedule inspections, view repair estimates (some in as little as 48 hours), track repairs once approved, and request a rental vehicle, and even verify your payment’s status.
Most Safeco auto insurance customers report positive experiences, giving the app four-star or higher average ratings on iTunes and Google Play. Most complimented its ease of use, while complaints often related to the less-than-stellar user interface.
- Very detailed and informative app, especially when it comes to claims
- Highest average customer ratings among competitors on this list
- Some users reported difficulty using the app
- Seamless biometrics login capability not available on all phone models
Compared to the other apps I’ve outlined here, MetLife’s works not just with auto and home, but also dental and vision insurance.
Together, the company advertises that you can securely take notes regarding an auto accident, take photos, report the accident, and submit a claim. You can also view your policy overview, pay your bills via credit card, debit card, or online check.
When it comes to dental, the MetLife app can help you view your plan, access your claim summary, find a dentist in your area, view your ID card, and even change your primary office. As far as vision, you can locate a provider in your area.
Despite its relatively robust access to different policy lines, MetLife’s mobile app comes with the lowest average rating (under two stars) among competitors on this list, which is certainly something to keep in mind. Most complaints seem related to functionality issues, specifically regarding billing.
- In addition to auto and home, the app also works with your MetLife vision and dental insurance policies
- Customers can pay via the app using online checks
- Lowest average online customer ratings among competing apps (1.4 stars between iTunes and Google Play)
Are You Looking for Additional Ways to Make it Easier to Keep Up with Your Auto Insurance?
Before choosing your smartphone app, the team at IHS Insurance Group can walk you through the process of selecting the most appropriate auto carrier based on your coverage needs and budgetary preferences. We’ve been in business for more than a decade helping clients just like you!
Need a FREE Quote? Or do you have questions about if you need additional insurance, or if your current policy covers ridesharing or contract deliveries? We have three convenient ways to reach us:
- If you prefer to talk to a licensed agent directly, please call (866) 480 5063.
- If you prefer to fill out a quick form and have an agent get back with you at your convenience, use the GET A FREE QUOTE.
- Lastly, for those that want an immediate quote, please click HERE.
We look forward to speaking with you today!