Taking a Look a Medicare’s Different Coverages
Medicare covers services that are considered medically necessary for example: lab tests, surgeries, doctor visits and urgent care. It also provides coverage for supplies like wheelchairs, walkers, commode chairs, etc. Essentially, Medicare covers the services and supplies that they have deemed medically necessary to treat a disease or condition.
Medicare Part A and Part B work together to cover most hospital and medical services. Medicare Part A provides hospital coverage and Part B provides medical coverage.
Part A – Hospital:
- Inpatient hospital care
- Inpatient skilled nursing facility care
- Blood transfusion
- Nursing home care (as long as custodial care isn’t the only care you need)
- Home health services
- Ambulance Service
- Durable Medical Equipment
- Annual wellness check-ups
- Health screening (examples: diabetes, blood pressure, lung cancer, depression)
- Mental health services: inpatient, outpatient & partial hospitalization
- Preventative care
- General doctor’s services
A common misconception is that Medicare offers coverage for everything that individual or group insurance policies might. In fact, Medicare doesn’t cover many things you might have with a traditional medical insurance policy. Many are things that might surprise you. Medicare does not cover:
- Long-term nursing care
- Natural/homeopathic services
- Routine foot care
- Hearing aids
- dental or vision care
- Any and all services outside of the USA
Another very common misconception is that prescription coverage in included in Part A and Part B coverage, but this in fact is not true. Prescription medication is covered with a Part D plan. For more information on Part D Prescription Plans you can read Medicare Prescription Plans: What You Need To Know.
If you would like more information on what Medicare Plan is right for you, give us a call today! Our friendly, licensed agents are available to assist you and provide you the information that you need! You can fill out the request below or give us a call at 1-866-341-8542 during normal business hours.